Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Apple, Banana and Sweet Potato Smoothie

This one is straight from the Vita-Mix website. It's one of my favorites.

In addition to the USDA recommendation of three cups of dark green leafy vegetables per week that I mentioned earlier, they also recommend a minimum of two servings of orange vegetables per week. This smoothie is a delicious way to get some of those tasty orange veggies. Enjoy!

sweet potato smoothie

Yield: 4 cups (960 mL)




1 (114 g) medium sweet potato, cooked, unpeeled and cooled
1/2 cup (120 mL) non-dairy milk
1 (120 g) small banana
1/2 (70 g) golden delicious apple, cut in half
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon honey or other sweetener, to taste
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups (480 mL) ice cubes

Place all ingredients in Vita-Mix container in order listed. Secure 2-part lid. Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to #10; then to HIGH. Run for 1 minute or until smooth. Serve immediately.

5 comments:

  1. Made this twice now, so yummy!!! Takes less than five minutes too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with this recipe! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! When I searched Sweet Potato Smoothie I had no idea i would stumble on such a jewel of a blog!! Yippee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This smoothie was really good but I added the 1/4 peeled lime from the recipe on the Vitamix site which gave it something 'more' in my opinion. This will be a regular on my smoothie rotation and the beta carotene in the sweet potatoes really help to give my skin a healthy glow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they must have added that to the original recipe - it wasn't there before - sounds interesting though!!! Is the rest of the recipe the same - nutmeg and all? (nutmeg and lime seems like a really odd combination but now I'm intrigued!)

    ReplyDelete